Another minor multiclutch 64 bit update.
So I’ve had some fixes to Multiclutch that I never really made a post about, and I figured I might as well post some instructions on exactly how to get this all working so people have less issues.
First of all, the latest download link:
Instructions on how to use this:
1) Install the original Multiclutch plugin using the original beta installer here
2) Install the latest version of SIMBL which includes 64 bit support from here
3) Install my fork of the plugin by copying the bundle file from my zip file above into ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins or /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins
4) *Important / new step* – remove the original multiclutch input manager from /Library/InputManagers. The latest build supports both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, it is a universal binary.
If you don’t do 4, it is likely that your Firefox / other applications will crash on some gestures.
If you do all of the above, and are still getting crashes, let me know here.
Another little update to multiclutch to allow it to load for all applications through SIMBL.
Update: I have made another post with better instructions and a new build.
Another little update to the changes I made to multiclutch.
I realised I could make the input manager load for all applications by using a * target application identifier for the SIMBL properties (so that is being used now).
I have also built the input manager as a universal application, so that it will now work for 32 bit and 64 bit applications, so the old input manager for MultiClutch in /Library/InputManagers should not be necessary anymore.
I have put up the build here:
Multiclutch Universal Build
Let me know how it goes!
Getting multiclutch working with Safari running in 64 bit mode.
I am a huge fan of Multiclutch, and I have been running Safari in 32 bit mode exclusively just so that I could keep using my multitouch gestures. It makes Safari so much more productive for me.
Anyway, I really wanted to get it working under 64 bit, and the source was open! And, it seems that SIMBL now works in 64 bit! So I decided to port over the Multiclutch code which was available on GitHub to work in SIMBL. This was a very rough port as I don’t code in OSX at all, and I just wanted to get it working!
What I modified:
- Added MulticlutchPlugin.[hm] to replace the NSApplication_GESTURES, that implements the SIMBL required load
- Modified Info.Plist to allow SIMBL to load it
Again, it’s very rough, and the developer should clean it up before releasing it. At the moment, it only loads on Safari.
A binary (Intel x64 only) for those who want to test it:
Multiclutch SIMBL Bundle
The bundle has to be copied to ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins as per any other SIMBL plugin.